Who was Joseph Good?

Joseph Henry Good, English School, c1830

The architect and surveyor Joseph Henry Good (1775-1857) was born in Somerset. He was a pupil of Sir John Soane from 1795 to 1799. After several decades of commissions in the London area, he held a post at the Office of Works from 1830 to 1832, working at the Tower of London, the Royal Mint, the Horse Guards and Kensington Palace. For many years he was also Surveyor to the Commissioners for Building New Churches (1826-1857).
After George IV’s death in 1830, Good was commissioned by his successor William IV to survey the entire Royal Pavilion Estate and he drew up plans for many alterations and new structures. The most notable surviving building designed by Good is the North Gate. The Royal Pavilion & Museums holds an archive of over 200 architectural plans, dating from 1824 to c1836, including the design for the William IV Gate, dormitories and converted stables at the eastern end of Church Street, now occupied by Brighton Museum & Art Gallery. Many of these plans are very large and contain intriguing notes and sketches that were added later.
Some of the earlier plans were not actually drawn by Good but a William Nixon, and probably used by Good as reference. They predate William IV’s reign and may have originated in John Nash’s office. William Nixon Sr was Clerk of Works for Nash and worked with him on several projects, including the Royal Pavilion. He lived in Brighton with his family from 1815. However, Nixon Sr died in 1826, the year before this plan, and few other Royal Pavilion plans were drawn. The most likely explanation is that the plans were drawn by his very talented son, who would also become an architect at the young age of 16.
These plans are currently being catalogued, photographed and digitised as part of the Royal Pavilion archives project. Because of their size, only a small selection can be displayed here, but they will be available online for public viewing in the near future.