Marine Pavilion

The Royal Pavilion was once a much more modest building, known as the Marine Pavilion.

In 1787 Prince George commissioned Henry Holland to remodel the lodging house he had purchased into a luxury villa. The Marine Pavilion was built in a fashionable style known as ‘neo-classical’, which was influenced by Ancient Greek and Roman architecture.

The Marine Pavilion maintained this look until 1815 when John Nash began work on transforming the building into the Indian inspired Royal Pavilion that we can see today.